A special cake of seven wonderful layers with lots and lots of chocolate!
1. For the dough, beat the butter with the sugar. Stir in the milk, salt, egg yolks, cornstarch and vanilla. Mix the flour and the baking powder and add it to the dough.
2. Beat the egg whites with the lemon juice. Fold them into the dough.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Divide the dough into 7 portions. Spread the first batch of dough on the bottom. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Bake the 6 layers the same way. Cool each layer on a rack for several minutes, then place it on a cake plate and put a paper towel between each layer.
5. For the filling, melt the chocolate in a double boiler placed over a pot with boiling water. Remove the chocolate from the heat before it is melted. Beat the butter with the sugar in a separate bowl and add the chocolate.
6. Spread an equal amount of filling on each layer and place the layers on top of each other.
7. For the glaze, melt the chocolate and the butter in a double boiler set over a pot with boiling water. Brush any crumbs off the cake and spread the glaze over the entire cake.
Source: N. Hassani: “Spoonfuls of Germany” (Hippocrene Books, 2004)